A Two-Day Workshop Friday & Saturday 22 & 23 May 2020 (9.00am – 4.30pm)
LOSS & GRIEF – Dimensions & Guises: Working with Individuals, Couples & Families where Loss & Grief are central issues
Therapists rarely feel more helpless than when sitting with an individual, couple or family who are experiencing the raw, intense, human pain of loss. When those same therapists encounter the ‘defences’ of the individual, couple or family who is experiencing the loss, they can feel equally helpless, albeit for different reasons.
In this two-day workshop psychiatrists/psychologists/counsellors/therapists will have the opportunity to not only explore the theoretical concepts and context of loss in a person’s life, but also to think about the application in the clinical setting. Opportunities will be given to practise asking relevant questions, making process commentaries, and offering reflections and reframes that can lead to increased confidence, understanding and connection with their clients. Therapists can become more empowered to hold the space that can contribute to the growth of the individual, couple or family through the experience of loss and grief.
Rosemary Watkins invites you to join her for this two-day workshop exploring Loss and Grief and its many dimensions and guises.
Day one: Understanding Loss and Grief and will include:
- Definitions, Dimensions, Theories and Models;
- Normal Grief and Complex Grief-Understanding, defining, and how do you work with each?
- What adds complexity to grief and what are some key differences in working therapeutically?
- Influencing factors; family of origin, cultural, spiritual and personal/personality variables
- The role of Attachment and the Individuation and Differentiation processes;
- Assessment and therapy; goals, (of client and therapist), theoretical orientations and interventions.
Day Two: Grief support, Grief counselling and Grief therapy and will include:
- Individual, Couple and Family process- Who is the client?
- The role of defences- understanding, identifying, and the impact on the therapist
- Working with defences…. two arms of therapy…. support and challenge.
- Attachment, Caregiving and Sex, in a context of Loss and Grief.
- Trauma and Grief…. where is there an overlap?
- The Self of the Therapist
The workshop format will involve a PPT presentation, DVD material, small group discussions, demonstration and role-play opportunities.
Venue: Conference Room (upstairs) WILLIAM STREET FAMILY THERAPY CENTRE 544 William Street Mount Lawley (Corner Chelmsford Road)
Dates & Times: Friday and Saturday 22 & 23 May 2020 (9.00am- 4.30pm)
Fees: Regular: $506 (includes GST) If paid after 24 April 2020
Earlybird: $462 (includes GST) If paid by 24 April 2020
Fees include a light lunch & morning & afternoon tea & coffee
Facilitator: ROSEMARY WATKINS MA Human Services is an experienced therapist, trainer and group facilitator; she is an Accredited Supervisor and Clinical member of AAFT (Australian Association of Family Therapy) and holds registration with The Psychotherapy & Counselling Federation of Australia (PACFA). Rosemary works in private practice from Applecross and Mount Lawley and she has provided training and education in tertiary and private settings in Perth in addition to several locations overseas. Rosemary aims to share her knowledge in a relaxed, informative way that holds an intention of promoting the development of a more confident and encouraged practitioner, willing to explore a deepening of his/her own creative energy in the clinical setting.
Enquiries: Secretary, William Street Family Therapy centre 544 William St, Mt Lawley WA 6050
Cancellation policy: No cancellations possible, but place transferable to a third party
REGISTRATION: Watkins Loss and Grief Workshop (Fri & Sat 22 & 23 May 2020)
Phone (H):______________Phone (W):_______________Email:_____________________________
Make Cheques payable to: William Street Family Therapy Centre, 544 William St, Mount Lawley WA 6050
EFT Payment: Into Westpac Bank BSB #: 036 045; Account #: 103606
Website: www.wsftc.com.au/upcoming courses.aspx for more info